Monday, January 28, 2013

Pizza Week

The Menu:
Sunday - Everything Pizza - sourdough crust, Joanne's perfect marinara, mozzarella, bell peppers, onions, jalapenos, button mushrooms, black olives, and pepperoni on half.
Monday - Greek Pizza - sourdough crust, Joanne's perfect marinara, mozzarella, bell pepper, jalapenos, kalamata olives, onions, feta, and pepperoni on half.
Tuesday - Mexican Pizza - sourdough crust, black beans, mozzarella, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, onions, and black olives.
Wednesday - Pizza Bagels - 3 seed bagels, marinara, mozzarella, manchego, and pepperoni on half.
Thursday - Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza from the food window at the Rose Garden.
Friday - Pineapple and Jalapeno Pizza - Hotlips pizza dough, Joanne's perfect marinara, mozzarella, pineapple, jalapenos, and pepperoni on half.
Saturday - Pesto and Leftovers Pizza - Hotlips pizza dough, Basil Pesto Outside the Box, mozzarella, manchego, bell peppers, kalamata olives, onions, chanterelle mushrooms

I can't remember when exactly Todd and I started celebrating Pizza Week.  I do remember that it started out as a means to test Todd's insatiable appetite for pizza.  Over the years I have found that if (a) we eat out more than twice during Pizza Week or (b) I make similar pies more than 3 nights in a week, his appetite for pizza does finally give up.  
I proved the latter true this year, actually.  By Wednesday night, Todd was asking if we could quit Pizza Week.  He was sick of all the super cheesy pizzas I was making.  Personally, I was sick of it by then too, but only because the sourdough crust was a dud.  The crust rose and rolled out beautifully, but the sour flavor seemed to overpower the pizza and I couldn't taste much else.  But I digress...  Todd was sick of pizza week.  I was too, but I'm a traditionalist and once we start Pizza Week, we don't stop Pizza Week.  I had to get us back on track.  So, on Thursday before we went to the Trailblazers game, I told him I wasn't making pizza for dinner.  I was making rutabaga salad instead.  He thought I was joking.  Well, by the time he finished the [delicious] rutabaga salad, he asked if we could go back to Pizza Week.  Which we did - even getting a greasy slice from the food vendor at the Rose Garden.

So Pizza Week trudged on.  Thank goodness, too, because Saturday's pizza was too much happiness in one pie.  The Hotlips dough ($3! at any Hotlips) was chewy and airy and so so easy.  I spread on the basil pesto we picked up from the farmers market and then proceeded to clean out the fridge for toppings.  Wow.  And I have to say, two years running, this is the best way to make pizza.  Last year's shining pie was comprised of sweet onions, mushrooms, and smoked gouda on marinara.  Maybe I'm channeling my inner stoner or something, but my mad-scientist-munchie pizzas always seem to be the favorite.  

I guess it goes to show you that can't champion a copy cat.  Papa Johns will always make a better pineapple and jalapeno pie than I will.  And Rovente's will make a better greek.  And Al Forno will make a better calzone.  And Sizzle Pie will make better pizza at 3am.  And Lovely's Fifty Fifty will make a better everything - except the one I made up ;-)

Joanne's Perfect Marinara
I've made this so many times and always alter it to fit whatever's in my cupboards...  It's always perfect.  So perfect that I spoon-feed half of it to myself.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lg shallot or 1 sm onion
1 16oz can chopped tomatoes - puree half the can or replace with a tbsp of tomato paste
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp dried
6 tbsp red wine (whatever you like to drink or cooking wine)
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the shallot in the oil for 5 minutes to soften.  Add all the other ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment